Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel
Real reviews from fellow travellers
These are trusted reviews from guests who have actually stayed here. We hope you find them helpful.
Note: we only give a property a rating once it has received a minimum of 3 reviews.
- “ On first pass this place might seem a little bit out of the way, but there are some great cheap eats like the market down the street (freshly made Japanese rice balls and bento boxes ready to go!), Tasty Crust, Farmacy, and the Wailuku Coffee Company. The place itself is decent in and of itself, but it's really the staff that make the place! I definitely recommend their daily adventures and trips for people like me who didn't do any research on things to do in Maui. ”
- 05 Apr 2015 June USA
- “ Wonderful people, wonderful property. If you're looking for a secret follow the river upstream to the waterfall. ”
- 11 Mar 2015 richard USA
“ Nobody told me that I would not have access to the kitchen between 10 pm and 8 am, found that out the hard way. The worst was that I had booked an all female dorm room, but on Saturday I was informed that they were moving 2 guys in because there were 'too many' all female dorm rooms. They had asked my roommates if I would think that was OK (wholly inappropriate to ask, since I didn't know them) and they treated me as if it was my fault since I hadn't been around at 7 am to ask. ”
We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience as we want every guest to have an amazing time with us and in Maui. We have very few rules but we do close the kitchen from 10 to 8 which is communicated to every guest upon check in. We sometimes ask people to switch rooms to accommodate all requests and I apologize this was not communicated to you ahead of time. We will be sure it does not happen again. In the future, please ask for the manager if you have any concerns or problems!
- 15 Jan 2015 Anonymous USA
“ Too many people have to share a couple of showers and toilets. Get an early shower or get a cold shower. They offer free tours, but we did our trips by ourselfs so we didn't do them. There was always something going on, so single travellers won't have any problems to meet people there. ”
I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere and took advantage of the great mix of travelers we attract! We have just installed new solar hot water systems and are ensuring that every guest gets a hot water shower, whatever time of day they might choose to do so! I hope you will stay with us again and try some of our free tours which are one of our greatest assets!
- 14 Jan 2015 Andreas Switzerland
“ The reason why I choose the BB, were the tours. And they are great. But: The location is very bad, nothing around it and far away from the next beach. The house is very old and dirty. I think the owner makes a lot of money and should invest some of it in the hostel. The rooms are very small and one night the staff took our nightstand because they needed it for another room. wtf??
In total the hostel is okay. But it is absolutely not worth 50 bucks per night. ”
Aloha! I'm happy to hear you took advantage of our tours and had a great time! We are centrally located, close to the airport, and right next to a bus systems that can take you anywhere you want to go around the island. Maui in general is an expensive island and our prices must unfortunately reflect that "Paradise Tax". In general, our dorms do not include night stands and I'm sorry for the error of it being there in the first place! I hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Maui!
- 10 Jan 2015 Anonymous Germany
- “ Banana Bungalow was well run, very clean, and well organized. For the price it is a bargain. The kitchen was available for use by the group making it easy to prepare food. The common areas were scrubbed daily as were the bathrooms. The staff worked hard to keep the hostel clean and to welcome guests. The free daily tours make this hostel above the rest. Free coffee and pancakes are a great way to start your day, Amazing experience! ”
- 01 Jan 2015 Susan USA
- “ Best places to stay if u want stay for cheap and meeting amazing people ”
- 27 Dec 2014 Anonymous India
- “ Good hostel, better than others in the area, really built for the backpacker crowd though. ”
- 27 Dec 2014 Anonymous USA
- “ Banana bungalow was great! The staff, the tours, the parties made my stay there truly memorable. It's so easy to fall in love with Maui and the hostel just made it easier. ”
- 24 Aug 2014 Anonymous Canada
- “ Would feel much more Comfortable with LOCKERS in the Room and not an envelope in a Safe that half the Hostel knows the Combination to and having to Flag Down and Wait for someone to Access their Safe and get Attitude from some of them does not work for me, Could also use a Plummer to replace half the Faucets that are Broken in the 1st Floor bathroom and haul the Broken Refrigerator to the TRASH and open the Kitchen prior too 8am when the tours start at 8:30, Day tours were their Biggest Asset. ”
- 23 Jun 2014 Anonymous USA