HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel
Real reviews from fellow travellers
These are trusted reviews from guests who have actually stayed here. We hope you find them helpful.
Note: we only give a property a rating once it has received a minimum of 3 reviews.
- “ That was a very interesting experience.I had a single cell ( tiny) for 5 days and honestly ,unless you are claustrophobic you will have no problem.Small room gets you to spend more time in the common areas and meet a lot of intresting people.I had a great time. It is former jail so I don't understand what people that complain were expecting. The only warning- they have concerts few times a week and it is VERY LOUD,make sure to have your earplugs with you Love the location. ”
- 12 Jul 2014 Bozena Canada
- “ Bathrooms and showers were filthy. Also not secure at all. They might put some fans up on each floor--the humidity was sweltering. It was suffocating. I couldn't stand it. I booked a "single with shared bathroom" thinking I was booking one of the larger singles and that it shared a bathroom with one other room--but I guess I actually booked the extremely claustrophobic authentic cell. Which shares a bathroom with the entire floor. That was disappointing. Renaming of booking-types please. ”
- 07 Jul 2014 Anonymous USA
- “ An unique experience ”
- 08 Jun 2014 Anonymous Germany
- “ I stayed here with my sis during Ottawa Race Weekend and loved how it was so close to the event. The staff were very friendly and helpful. However, beforehand it took several email exchanges before staff emailed the correct cost/breakdown (staff who responded in between didn't answer my questions or realize their calculation was incorrect). You might need earplugs depending on your room (loud music was blaring at night and it was too hot to close the window). Otherwise, a great value. :) ”
- 24 May 2014 Anonymous Canada
- “ The hostel manager needs to be on top of repairs, including broken toilets and locks, and decide if this is to be abhostel or theme park. They bring tours thru the jail most evenings so if you enjoy a lot of screaming kids until 11pm, its fine. Overpriced for very little service, little available amenities, and crappy front desk staff. However, close to all you want to see in Ottawa. ”
- 11 May 2014 Anonymous USA