The Old Countryhouse
Real reviews from fellow travellers
These are trusted reviews from guests who have actually stayed here. We hope you find them helpful.
Note: we only give a property a rating once it has received a minimum of 3 reviews.
- “ Wifi barely worked. Front staff woman was very rude to myself and a few others. ”
- 07 Nov 2013 Emily Canada
- “ This place nickel and dimes you every chance they get, with already high rates for rooms especially considering the seedy area of town it is in. Also, the WiFi system is expensive and doesn't work! I paid $10 for a few MB and it wouldn't connect. When I complained to the manager she just sneered and said, "I have nothing to do with it. Guess you shouldn't have given your money to this website." She generally gave off the impression that she didn't want anyone bothering her; very unwelcoming. ”
- 30 Oct 2013 Anonymous USA
- “ One of the best hostels I've stayed at. Friendly staff and clean facilities. Have already recommended this hostels to friends! ”
- 12 Apr 2013 Caleb USA
- “ The Old Countryhouse is a cute complex of three wooden houses connected by green lawns and flower/herb gardens. It is about a ten minute bus ride outside of the downtown area and the only shops nearby are a Subway Sandwich, a small grocery market, a butcher shop, and a post office, as the area is clearly residential. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There's a dedicated laundry room and it's located in a very quiet area. ”
- 14 Feb 2013 Linda J. USA
- “ In your booking system I've chosen arrival time at 9pm. Day later came email, that is too late. But I couldn't change time of my arrival. So I emailed them that I'll come at that time and refused to pay 100 dollars for another room. Of course nobody was there because it's very late for hostel in centre of south island capital. I didn't read all terms and conditions but, who does... Not only they took money for booking but of course all payment for room I couldn't use. Very bad experience. ”
- 25 Jan 2013 Zuzana Czech Republic
- “ Didn't like it much, reception always busy so it's difficult to get any questions answered, lots of people in the dorm were just bored and hanging around and it was hard to find any personal space. Room was cold and damp. ”
- 02 Jan 2013 Jonathan England