Real reviews from fellow travellers
These are trusted reviews from guests who have actually stayed here. We hope you find them helpful.
Note: we only give a property a rating once it has received a minimum of 3 reviews.
- “ No safes in the room I was in, but staff was trustworthy and they would let you lock things up at the front desk. This is my only real complain. Otherwise everyone was friendly and helpful and quick to respond to any problems. If you don't speak Chinese it may be a little tougher as many of the staff don't speak English. But enough do so it shouldn't be an issue. ”
- 04 Jul 2014 Kellen USA
- “ I think this is good place to stay. ”
- 11 Feb 2014 Anonymous Japan
- “ Travelinformation on trainservice etc. Can be improved. Offer on Tours not available during lower season. ”
- 12 Oct 2013 Anonymous Switzerland
- “ I found The phoenix probably the best hostel in my experiences in China. Very good and professional staff, really well located in the center, near many good restaurants and shops. The balcony in the last floor has a wonderfull view of the old streets of Shanghai, perfect to enjoy drinks and breakfast or surf in Internet. ”
- 07 Oct 2013 Jorge Spain
- “ I would stay here again, because the location is great (15 min walking distance to The Bund) and what you get for your money is great, too. They have an excellent restaurant just downstairs and a rooftop bar with a great view, where you can have a nice sandwich for breakfast. So all in all, a good experience with only one thing, we had a cockroach in our room and it was huge, well for me it was. It fled behind the cupboard and we had to sleep with it alive for that one night. The horror. ”
- 31 Aug 2013 Rebekka Germany
- “ The hostel has a good location close to most sights, metro and nice food streets, restaurants ect. The hostel itself has a very nice and cheap chineese which is a plus. The hostel was rather unclean though - both the rooms and the common area. Our room had bedbugs which is a major drawback becauce you wake up with bites and there is a risk of taking the bugs with you when you leave. The hostel is nice - but I would not reccomend due to the bedbugs. ”
- 25 Jul 2013 Anonymous Denmark