The Venice Beach Hostel
Real reviews from fellow travellers
These are trusted reviews from guests who have actually stayed here. We hope you find them helpful.
Note: we only give a property a rating once it has received a minimum of 3 reviews.
“ This was by far the worst accommodation we stayed in California, from start to finish our experience in Venice Beach Hostel was terrible. The hostel is 2 separate houses in a residential areas with no signs to let you know its a hostel so it's difficult to locate. The hostel is very dirty and the doors to the hostel are rarely closed so your belongings are far from safe. On top of this the guy who checked us in seemed stoned & we got fined for parking our car in the area we were told to park in ”
These guests parked directly beneath a sign that read DO NOT PARK MONDAY 7.30AM TO 9.30AM STREET CLEANING, when we declined to pay the &85 ticket they threatened the staff with ;the worst review money can buy' and here it is !!!!!
- 15 Aug 2015 Daire
- “ Nice place to stay, which is pretty close to the beach. Staff was great, atmosphere was lively. Would stay again ”
- 13 Aug 2015 Sean Canada
- “ Awesome place. Great staff and facilities ”
- 08 Aug 2015 Braden
- “ I had a great time staying here! Short walk to the pier which is great for running, lifting, watching, looking etc... The dorm was great, comfy bed and the balcony doors stayed open and let in fresh air all night through. Only downer was the wi-fi, but Starbucks is a short walk and offers free high-speed wi-fi for when you need that. I'll be staying here next time I'm in LA for sure. ”
- 21 May 2015 Fredrik Norway
- “ Ian and the guys were nice. The facility is good for what is needed for a hostel. It's what it should be and comfortable. ”
- 13 May 2015 Anonymous USA
“ One very self-righteous staff member who was not popular with any of the guests I talked to. Was rude and mother henned the guests. The cots are very unsupportive. I'm not a big guy but I found my bed sagging so much that my back was bent all night. Otherwise decent facility with serviceable facilities and a good location. Enjoyed the company of the othet residents. ”
We weren't rude David - just had to make you aware that taking peoples food isn't cool .
- 13 Feb 2015 Anonymous USA
- “ I stayed here for a week at the beginning of January. Ian the owner and Sandra, a lovely girl that worked there were super friendly and helpful. They helped me organise my trip and offered to run some errands for me. Staying at this hostel you feel part of the family with really cozy communal rooms to meet other travellers. Breakfast was exactly how it should be at the price. Rooms were perfectly clean and comfortable. Location is perfect, 15min walk to venice beach & 5 min to supermarket. ”
- 11 Jan 2015 Suki England
- “ This is a very homey hostel, i like the atmosphere. Staff are very nice as well. ”
- 23 Dec 2014 Anonymous Egypt
- “ Hostel wouldn't let me stay more than one night because I'm American which is BS. I am an international traveler. I just came from overseas. Staff (Colombian woman) was rather weird and accused me of smoking on the premises. Which was false. Close to beach. ”
- 11 Nov 2014 Anonymous USA
- “ At first I thought Venice Beach Hostel was a bit shady because they aren't up front with you about where it's actually located (you get an email after booking that asks you to check in at a different address, which is the actual location), but after arriving I felt more comfortable with the stay. I liked the hostel's at home feel, laid-back atmosphere, and sense of privacy. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable about local going-ons and things to do. ”
- 07 Nov 2014 Meghan USA