Find a Travel Blog
- Posted:Tuesday, August 7, 2012
- Comments: 0
Tips for Oktoberfest
Are you going to the world's biggest beer festival this September? Oktoberfest is the popular and iconic beer festival held in Munich every year and draws thousands to its beer tents from all over the world every year. If this is your first year at Oktoberfest then you might want to do some research on what to expect apart from lots of beer. Here are some tips we found from previous Oktoberfest goers that we think could come in handy during the Munich festival.
- If you are visiting Oktoberfest on the weekend days then make sure you arrive by 10am, especially on the opening day. Arrive before 12am on the week days.
- Don’t wear your best and most expensive clothes as they will get covered in beer.
- Book ahead to reserve your place in the best beer tents. This is particularly important on opening day.
- Beers come in 1 litre glasses and can cost anything between 7 and 9 euro. Make sure you have cash on you too. There are cash machines around the area but they often have big queues.
- Tip the Frauleins (the girls who give you the beer). And be nice and polite to them too as they will not come back to you if you don’t tip or are very rude, meaning no more beer. One euro per beer is recommended but maybe start higher on your first beer so they will look after you for the day.
- Learn one song, which happens to be the song of Oktoberfest – ‘Ein Prosit’. This German medley is broken out at least once every hour.
So with all these in mind we hope you have a great time at Oktoberfest. And if you have been to this beer festival before then add your tips for first time goers in a comment below.