- How big is Melbourne?
- Melbourne is the capital city of the Australian state of Victoria and is approximately 8806 km² (3,400.0 sq mi) in size.
- How many people inhabit it?
- Melbourne is the second most populous city in Australia with an approximate population of 4 million.
- What are the language and the currency?
- English is mainly spoken in Melbourne and the currency is the Australian dollar.
- Federation Square
Things to see in Melbourne
- What is Melbourne
- One of the most popular things to do for people coming to Melbourne is actually a drive from Melbourne. The Great Ocean Road is often referred to as one of the world’s greatest coastal drives. Along the route you will see some amazing coastal scenery with the highlights including the well known '12 Apostles’.
- What makes it so special?
- The Great Ocean Road stretches over 400km and covers some of the world’s best coastal landscape.
- Anything else which shouldn't be missed in Melbourne?
- There is a lot to see and do all over Melbourne such as The Queen Victoria Market which dates from the 1870s and is still a popular attraction because of its character and colour. Another top attraction in Melbourne is the Melbourne Cricket Ground which is the most famous cricket ground in Australia.
- What about art and culture?
- Melbourne is a popular choice for those looking to sample some of Australia’s art and culture also. The Victorian Arts Centre is where you will find the city’s art neighbourhood. It is home to some concert halls and the National Gallery of Victoria. Museum Victoria runs three of the city’s popular museums - the Scienceworks Museum, Melbourne Museum and the Immigration Museum.
- Where can you find Melbourne’s best architecture?
- Melbourne's Collin's Street is home to some of Australia’s finest buildings from the Victorian era. Today it is Melbourne’s commercial district but you will still find some large churches from the 19th century on this street. For the newer buildings of Melbourne check out the Docklands, and if you want to climb to the top of the tallest residential building in the southern hemisphere then visit the Eureka Tower for amazing views if the city.
Going out in Melbourne
- Is it expensive to go out in Melbourne?
- It can be depending on where you are going. If you are frequenting the top nightclubs and trendy bars then it can be expensive. However, if you go to some other suburbs like around the northern suburbs of Collingwood and Fitzroy, you can drink for cheaper and in a more laid back atmosphere too.
- Where are most of the bars found?
- Melbourne nightlife is 24 hours with a lot happening! However it really starts to kick off around midnight. The city centre has a lot of pubs, but can be often hidden so make sure you know where you are going. Check out Brunswick and Gertrude Streets in Fitzroy and Smith Street, Collingwood if you are looking for cafes, bars and live music, while Lygon Street, Carlton has a range of Italian restaurants and cafes with a student vibe, as it's located near the University of Melbourne. Chapel Street/ Toorak Road in South Yarra and Prahran have some very trendy bars and clubs but these places come with high prices and a strict dress code.
- Do I need to carry my ID with me when going out?
- Some Melbourne clubs will have a strict entry policy so have your ID on you to be safe.
- Is there anything to do that doesn't include alcohol?
- Melbourne has an old and rich coffee culture. It has many Italian style cafes and you will also find a lot of bohemian style cafes in the Fitzroy area. There are some very famous cafes around the city offering some world-class coffee in a great atmosphere with music and outdoor seating.
- Anything else I need to know?
- Melbournians often distinguish between bars and pubs – a bar will refer to a smaller place to drink while a pub is a larger establishment and will often serve food during the day.
Eating Out in Melbourne
- Is it expensive to eat out in Melbourne?
- If you are a foodie then Melbourne is one of the best places to visit! There are a vast amount of affordable but high quality restaurants covering all cuisines around the city.
- Where is the best selection of restaurants in the city?
- Melbourne's top eateries can be found throughout the inner city with some highly recommended places to be found in some suburbs too. Also, like in most cities, some neighbourhoods in Melbourne primarily feature restaurants from one country in particular. There are a lot of great spots for restaurants such as Southbank, Docklands and South Yarra. Around Carlton you will find a lot of touristy and Italian restaurants. Victoria Street in Richmond offers many low cost and popular Vietnamese and South East Asian restaurants. While the popular tourist spot of St. Kilda has a great selection of quality restaurants and cafes.
- Are international cuisines well represented?
- Incredibly well! You can find restaurants serving African, Chinese, Greek, Indonesian, Japanese, Kosher, Thai, Vietnamese and typical Australian food also to name but a few.
- Anything else I need to know?
- Eating out in Melbourne is normally relatively affordable so make the most of all the different cuisines that the city has on offer.
Transport in Melbourne
- How many different modes of public transport are there in Melbourne?
- The Metlink covers three modes - Trams, train and bus. The City Circle is a free tourist tram that runs around the CBD perimeter and is an older style tram. There are also plenty of yellow Melbourne taxis on offer in the city centre, but not so much in the suburbs.
- Is there one ticket which covers bus/train/subway?
- You can purchase a travel card which allows you to travel on all three modes of transport in the Metlink. The old card is called the Metcard but a modern travel card called the Myki is being introduced throughout 2012. The Myki will work on a top-up and travel basis.
- Will I need to use public transport at all?
- Melbourne is a very large city but most points of interest are in the city centre. However the Metlink is very convenient and easy to use if you do get tired of walking around.
Make your trip go further with Hostels.com. We offer the most comprehensive selection of hostels on the internet with over 35,000 hostels in 180 countries. Bringing you great value and providing a service that is fuss free, reliable and frankly brilliant! Hostels.com the ultimate resource for great value accommodation all over the world.