Find a City Guide
Top Hostels in Vienna
- How big is Vienna?
- Vienna is the capital of Austria and is approximately 414.90 km2 (160.2 sq mi) in size.
- How many people inhabit it?
- Roughly 1.7 million people inhabit the city of Vienna.
- What are the language and the currency?
- The people of Vienna speak German but English is also widely spoken. They spend the Euro.
- Kunsthistoriches Museum
Things to see in Vienna
- What is Vienna's number one attraction?
- The Belvedere Palaces are a popular tourist attraction that are made up of two amazing palaces in the grounds of a beautiful park.
- What makes it so special?
- The Belvedere Palaces are particularly popular because not only do you get to see two beautifully constructed palaces, but they are also home to two great museums. There’s the "Österreichisches Barockmuseum" (Austrian Museum of Baroque Art) which displays Austrian Art of the 18th century. While in the upper palace you can visit the Austrian gallery with a collection of 19th and 20th century Austrian paintings.
- Anything else which shouldn't be missed in Vienna?
- Check out the Anchor Clock (Ankeruhr) which you will find on the oldest square in Vienna. Then there’s the modern Haas House which you will find next to St. Stephens Cathedral which dates from the 12th century.
- What about art and culture?
- They are well represented. Vienna is home to a number of museums and galleries such as the Kunsthistorisches Museum which is home to the fourth largest collection of paintings in the world. Another popular Vienna museum is the KunstHausWien which was designed by the artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser. There’s also the Museum of Art History/ Fine Arts, the Natural History Museum and the Albertina Art Gallery.
Going out in Vienna
- Is it expensive to go out in Vienna?
- It depends on where you want to go, but for a European capital city the prices for nightlife in Vienna are not expensive.
- What can I expect from Vienna’s nightlife?
- When it comes to a night out in Vienna there are a couple of different options available. If you like wine then you will love Vienna’s Wine Taverns. These Heuriger are run by winemakers that also serve food in a buffet format. A lot of the popular ones will be found in the suburbs that come with outdoor seating. Vienna also has many bars and beer-houses around the city some of which are traditional and relaxing places to modern and funky settings. You will also find clubs and bars to suit varying tastes and lifestyles around the city.
- Is there anything to do that doesn't include alcohol?
- One of the most popular things to do in Vienna is to visit the Kaffeehauser or coffee houses. These are a huge part of Vienna’s culture where you can sit back in the confines of a 19th or 20th century coffee house and enjoy the surroundings and refreshments. These coffee houses do serve some alcoholic drinks along with meals, cakes and a variety of coffees.
- Anything else I need to know?
- Some places will ask for a cover charge but this will often result in a paying a lower price at the bar for drinks and stay open late.
Eating Out in Vienna
- Is it expensive to eat out in Vienna?
- Yes and no. You can eat out to suit all budgets in Vienna from cheap deli counter sandwiches and street food to some of the finest restaurants and elite dining.
- Where is the best selection of restaurants in the city?
- You will find a variety of restaurants and eateries around the city to suit all tastes. A popular area for dining out in Vienna is Naschmarkt.
- Are international cuisines well represented?
- There is a varied selection of international cuisines represented throughout Vienna dining such as Indian, American, Turkish/ Mediterranean and Asian. There is also a wide range of restaurants offering Viennese cuisine which is traditional food that you can sample in its traditional form or in a modern take.
- Anything else I need to know?
- There is a colour coded policy in relation to smoking in restaurants in Vienna. A small red sticker on the door means no-smoking and a green means smoking, both mean there is a separate non-smoking section. Even at outdoor tables, it is polite to ask tablemates permission before lighting up after a meal.
Transport in Vienna
- How many different modes of public transport are there in Vienna?
- Vienna has a good and efficient public transport system that includes rail, commuter rail, subway/ underground, trams/ trolleys and buses. The subway/ underground is regarded as the most reliable and it will take you close to most locations around the city.
- How do I pay for public transport in Vienna?
- Vienna’s public transport works off a one ticket covers all system within the city limits. Remember to validate your ticket by stamping it so it has the time and date one it. You can buy your ticket at machine, counters at stations and as tobacco shops. A single trip ticket costs less than two euro. But you can also purchase tickets that will give you 24 hour access to monthly access.
Make your trip go further with Hostels.com. We offer the most comprehensive selection of hostels on the internet with over 35,000 hostels in 180 countries. Bringing you great value and providing a service that is fuss free, reliable and frankly brilliant! Hostels.com the ultimate resource for great value accommodation all over the world.