HI-Baltimore is located in the heart of the city in the vibrant Mount Vernon Neighborhood.
We are two blocks south of the Washington Monument, directly across the street from the Baltimore Basilica, America's first Cathedral, as well as the main branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library. We are easily accessible from BWI Airport and from Penn Station where Amtrak, Bolt Bus, and MVP Bus stop. Get around the city on the FREE shuttle bus (Charm City Circulator) - we are located at the Mulberry Street stop going South and the Pleasant Street stop going North. For complete directions on how to get to the hostel please see our website
HI-Baltimore was voted 'third best hostel in North America' by hostelworld in 2008. Come see what everyone is talking about! We are located in an historic 19th century mansion complete with a large parlor with a piano, large dining room, full guest use kitchen where we serve the daily FREE pancake breakfast, a back deck and lower patio with grills for cooking outdoors, a TV room with a 42" flat screen TV and a huge library of movies, FREE guest use computer with Internet and a FREE Skype Center, FREE WiFi throughout the building, and guest laundry for $1.50 wash and $1.50 dry. We have 12 bed single gender dorms and 8 bed coed dorms, all with ensuite baths. We are also offer two private rooms with a double bed and shared bath. We also have a 4 bed family room available with a private bath located just off the kitchen.
Be sure to check the hostel for the free weekly events including pub crawls, movie nights, city tours, meal nights featuring make your own pizza - tacos - and all you can eat pasta, as well as monthly poetry events - art openings - and a local writer series called Last Rites Baltimore.
If you haven't been to Baltimore you don't know what you are missing! At half the price of other east coast cities you can do a lot more in Baltimore than you can imagine. The hostel is walking distance to the Inner Harbor, Sport Stadiums, Convention Center, and the Mount Vernon and City Center Neighborhoods. We are surrounded by pubs, bars, nightclubs, and restaurants including Mick O'Sheas Irish Pub, the Yacht Club, Sonar Nightclub, the Talking Head Club, Bourbon Street, and a wide variety of restaurants. There is a grocery store one block from the hostel to buy food to cook your own meals. If you want to go bar hopping be sure to venture to Federal Hill around the Cross Street Market or Fells Point along Thames Street. Should you be after local art, music, and the hipster crowd you don't want to miss Station North with Club Charles, the Hexagon, the WindUp Space, Metro Gallery, and the Charles Theater for independent movies. And you certainly don't want to miss Brewers Art where they brew their own very potent beer - and better yet - by staying at the hostel you receive happy hour pricing at all times by presenting you receipt!
Don't forget about our area discounts giving you great deals at over two dozen restaurants, bars, and shops throughout the city. You receive a list of discount partners when you check in!
Are you travelling to other hostels in the area? Need a ride? Check out the new Hostel Hiker hostel-to-hostel bus service which shuttles travellers between HI-DC, HI-Baltimore, HI-Harpers Ferry, HI-Philly to and back to DC on Mondays and Saturdays. On Wednesdays, the bus travels from HI-DC to HI-Baltimore to HI-Harpers Ferry to HI-DC!
Front desk hours are from 8am to 11pm daily. Staff is on hand 24 hours a day and can be reached after hours by pushing the contact buzzer.
**There is a $10 late arrival fee for all arrivals after 11pm
**You MUST have a reservation if you are going to arrive after 11pm
**You cannot stay at HI-Baltimore if you reside in Baltimore City or the Surrounding Counties
**You will be asked to pay a $3 per day membership fee if not a member of Hostelling International
**Local tax (15.5%) are added upon check in
**Guests under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, or a Minor Consent form must be completed by a parent or guardian
Verfügbarkeit & PreiseWähle bitte die Termine aus und klicke auf "Daten aktualisieren", um die Verfügbarkeit zu sehen
Hostels Ausstattungen & Richtlinien
- 24 Stunden Rezeption
- 24 Stunden Sicherheitsdienst
- Frühstück inklusive
- Kostenlose Stadtpläne
- Kostenloser Internet-Zugang
- Kostenloses WLAN
- Haartrockner zum Mieten
- Bettwäsche im Preis inbegriffen
- Shuttle Bus
- Zubereitungsmöglichkeiten für Tee / Kaffee
- Handtücher im Preis inbegriffen
ReiserücktrittsversicherungDiese Unterkunft hat eine 1 Tage Stornierungsfrist. Ergeht innerhalb dieser Zeit keine Stornierung, wird eine Stornogebühr in Höhe der ersten Nacht des Aufenthalts in Rechnung gestellt.
AnfahrtKarte anzeigenKarte verbergen
General Information About Public Transport
**Check out the new HOSTEL HIKER door-to-door bus service that shuttles travelers between the area hostels. Go to www.hostelhiker.com for routes, pricing and scheduling information!
A one-way pass is $1.60 and an all-day unlimited pass is $3.50. An all-day pass is good for all public transportation - bus, metro, light rail. Check the MTA website for information on how to get to the hostel from any location. See: www.mtamaryland.com
You may purchase light rail and metro passes at cubicles located near stops. You do not need exact change for light rail and metro passes.
You may purchase bus passes when you get on the bus. You will need exact change.
There is a Free Shuttle Charm City Circulator that goes to most major tourist destinations in Baltimore City. For more information see www.charmcitycirculator.com
** Check out the new Hostel Hiker hostel-to-hostel bus service. Go to www.hostelhiker.com for more details.
1. Light Rail:
For a complete schedule and times of operation see:
The Light Rail is quick and cheap, $1.60 one way, $3.50 all day unlimited pass (good for all mass transit). It leaves directly from the BWI terminal. An average ride to the Centre Street Stop will take about 30 minutes. You can purchase tickets at the ticket booths located inside BWI from where the train leaves.
Once you land follow signs for Ground Transportation and the Light Rail (train symbol) at BWI. All Light Rail trains leaving BWI will take you into downtown Baltimore. Take the light rail from BWI to the Centre Street Light Rail Stop. Walk in the direction the train was going and make your first RIGHT onto MONUMENT STREET. Walk TWO BLOCKS and make a RIGHT onto CATHEDRAL STREET. Walk THREE BLOCKS and make a left onto MULBERRY STREET. The hostel the SECOND BUILDING on your RIGHT. We are located in a three story brownstone mansion. Total distance is mile, or about 10 minutes.
Points of interest include the Washington Monument, Enoch Pratt Free Library, and the Baltimore Basilica.
To take a taxi from the airport follow signs for ground transportation and taxis (car symbol). An average ride from BWI to the hostel will cost around $30.00.
The BWI Super Shuttle offers travel to Downtown 24 hours a day. To make a reservation call 1-800-258-3826 or see www.supershuttle.com
The Airport Shuttle offers service from 3am to midnight. To make a reservation call 1-800-776-0323 or see www.theairportshuttle.com
Dulles International Airport:
To get to Baltimore from Dulles International Airport it will take you one to one and a half hours by car, or up to three hours by public transportation. If available, flying into BWI would be a much better option.
1. Public Transportation
Take the Washington Flyer Service (http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm) from Dulles International Airport to the West Falls Church Metro Station ($10.00 one way).
An alternate route for the weekends when the MARC train is not running is to take the DC from West Falls Church to LEnfant Plaza stop. Transfer to the Green Line towards Greenbelt. Take the Green Line to the Greenbelt Stop and exit the Metro Station. Get on bus B30 to Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI). At BWI get on the Light Rail to downtown Baltimore. Follow directions for Light Rail above. Total cost would be around $10.00.
Get on the Metro and take the Orange Line (towards New Carrollton) to Metro Center.
At Metro Center you will switch to the Red Line (towards Glenmont) and get off at Union Station. The total cost for the subway will be around $2.35 (prices may vary or information may have changed).
At Union Station take the MARC train Penn Line (Monday Friday ONLY, Amtrak on Saturday and Sunday) Northbound to Baltimore - (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/penn_Sept08%20.pdf).
Get off at Penn Station and follow directions from Penn Station below.
Total cost for MARC train is $7.00 one way. Amtrak ranges from $14.00 to $30.00.
A taxi will cost you well over $100.00 and is not a realistic option. Dulles is more than one hour (up to two hours with traffic) away from Baltimore City.
3. Super Shuttle
Shuttle service from Dulles will cost you $90.00 for the first person and $10.00 each additional person. Locate the Super Shuttle booth in the airport to use this method of transportation.
Downtown Greyhound Bus Station:
1. Public Transportation
From the Greyhound bus station take the #27 bus to the stop near Saratoga Street. Walk east on Saratoga Street (the numbers will be going down) for three blocks. Turn left onto Liberty Street and walk one block. Turn right onto Mulberry Street. The hostel is the second door on your right, 17 West Mulberry Street.
We do not recommend walking from the downtown bus station. The bus station was recently moved slightly out of the city and is in an industrial area. The walk is easy enough, however you will be walking through areas that have a lot of old industrial buildings and not a lot of people on the street.
A taxi from Greyhound will cost $8.00 to $12.00 depending upon traffic.
Travel Plaza(Greyhound, China Town Buses):
1. Public Transportation
Take the #20 bus towards downtown. Get off at the intersection of Fayette and Charles Streets. Walk north (with the flow of traffic) on Charles Street for 3 blocks. Turn left at Mulberry Street. The hostel is located near the intersection of Cathedral and Mulberry Streets on your left hand side. A bus ride from the Travel Plaza will take roughly 40 minutes.
Some China Town Buses offer drop off service at 323 Park Avenue. This location is one block away from the hostel. The way it works is you arrive at the Travel Plaza and a 15 passenger van then takes you to the 323 Park Avenue stop. From that stop you will walk a block with the flow of traffic to Mulberry Street. Turn right on Mulberry Street and walk one block to Cathedral Street. The hostel is the second door on the right after Cathedral Street.
Megabus *We do not recommend Mega Bus!!
1. You will need to walk from the Whitemarsh Park and Ride to Town Center (from parking lot turn RIGHT onto Honeygo Blvd, LEFT onto Campbell Blvd, RIGHT onto Town Center Dr)
2. Take bus # 35.
3. Get off at SARATOGA and CATHEDRAL streets.
4. Walk one block north on Cathedral street (against traffic) and turn RIGHT onto Mulberry Street. Hostel is second door on the right.
1. The Bolt Bus will drop you off at Penn Station. When you get off the bus you will need to walk towards Penn Station (with the flow of traffic). The Free Shuttle and Bus stop is on the corner before you enter the driveway to Penn Station. Please follow directions from Penn Station to get to the hostel.
1. The MVP bus will drop you off at North Avenue and Charles Street. You will want to walk south on Charles Street (against traffic) for two blocks to arrive at Penn Station. Walk in front of Penn Station to the corner of Saint Paul Street to catch buses going towards the hostel. Follow directions from Penn Station to get to the hostel.
1. From Penn Station take the #3 bus down Saint Paul Street. When exiting the train station turn towards your left and walk to the entrance of the drive. There is a bus stop on the corner of the drive and Saint Paul Street. The #3 bus will drop you off directly across from the hostel on the corner of Mulberry and Cathedral Streets. The bus is $1.60 one way or $3.50 for an all day pass. A bus ride from the train station will take roughly 20 minutes.
2. The Charm City Circulator is a Free Shuttle that runs throughout city (www.charmcitycirculator.com). You can pick it up from Penn Station at the same place you would pick up Bus #3. You want to get off at the intersection of Mulberry Street and Saint Paul Street. You will walk up the hill on Mulberry Street (against traffic) for just about two blocks. The hostel is the second to last door on the left before you get to Cathedral Street.
Summer Operating Hours (April 1 - October 31)
Winter Operating Hours (November 1 - March 31)
3. If you are up for a walk Penn Station is 12 blocks, or one mile (1.6km) from the Hostel. Walk south on Charles Street (against the flow of traffic). Once you past the Washington Monument you go two more blocks and turn right into Mulberry Street. The hostel is on your left - 17 West Mulberry Street. The walk down Charles Street is a nice walk and you will get to see a number of shops and restaurants that you may want to visit later.
4. A taxi from Penn Station will cost $5.00 to $7.00 depending upon traffic.
1. Coming from the south (Washington DC) you want to take 95 to Exit 53 - 395 North to Downtown/Martin Luther King Blvd. Stay to the left towards 'Downtown'. Once you exit move to your right and go with the flow of traffic to the right onto Conway Street. Make your first left onto Charles Street. Follow Charles Street for 10 blocks and make a left onto Franklin Street. Make your first LEFT off of Franklin Street onto Cathedral Street. Make your first LEFT off of Cathedral Street onto Mulberry Street. The hostel is the 2nd door in from Cathedral Street, 17 West Mulberry Street.
An alternate route from Washington DC is to take the Baltimore Washington Parkway out of DC. You will follow this to Baltimore. Once you past Orioles Stadium you want to make a RIGHT onto Pratt Street. Go about three blocks and make a LEFT onto Charles Street. Follow Charles Street for 10 blocks and make a left onto Franklin Street. Make your first LEFT off of Franklin Street onto Cathedral Street. Make your first LEFT off of Cathedral Street onto Mulberry Street. The hostel is the 2nd door in from Cathedral Street, 17 West Mulberry Street.
2. Coming from the North (Philadelphia, NYC) take 95 south to exit 53 -53 - 395 North to Downtown/Martin Luther King Blvd. Stay to the left towards 'Downtown'. Once you exit move to your right and go with the flow of traffic to the right onto Conway Street. Make your first left onto Charles Street. Follow Charles Street for 10 blocks and make a left onto Franklin Street. Make your first LEFT off of Franklin Street onto Cathedral Street. Make your first LEFT off of Cathedral Street onto Mulberry Street. The hostel is the 2nd door in from Cathedral Street, 17 West Mulberry Street.
3. Coming from the North (I83). Stay on 83 South towards Baltimore City. Take Exit 5 for Maryland Avenue (the exit is a sharp turn to the right and then a stop light). Turn left off of the exit at the stop light onto Maryland Avenue. Continue through the city on Maryland Avenue for 1 mile. You will go down a hill (passing Walters Art Museum on your left) and then up a steep hill. Cross over Franklin Street and make your next left onto Mulberry Street. The hostel is the 2nd door in from Cathedral Street (Maryland Ave. turns into Cathedral Street), 17 W Mulberry Street.
4. Coming from the West (Pittsburgh, Ohio) take 70 East to 695 South towards 'Essex'. Follow 695 to 95 North. Get onto 95 North and follow the directions given when coming from the South (number 1)
1. We have limited parking available behind the hostel for $8 a night. The parking lot is monitored 24 hours a day with video surveillance. The parking is double parking so you will be asked to leave your keys at the front desk in case we need to move your vehicle. Vehicles larger than a sedan (vans, large trucks, etc.) will be charged for two parking spots ($16).
2. Street parking is available at $1 an hour, though during rush hour times there is no parking on the streets. If parking your car on the street be aware of the signs. Towing is enforced in the downtown area and it brings a steep fine of $260. A number of garages are available in the area and they range from $8 to $20 a day (you pay that every time you come and go). You should reserve parking if you want to use parking behind the Hostel.