Shelter City is right in the old centre of Amsterdam, close to the world-famous 17th century canals, Central Station, Dam Square, the Red Light District and many fabulous museums. A unique historic building with a great café and living room, peaceful garden and giant fish-pond.
The hostel is next to the Nieuwmarkt square which is famous for the mix of many cultures, international restaurants and cool cafe’s. There’s been a market here since 1614 and the castle-like Waag building at the centre of the square is from the 15th century. Spend a sunny afternoon drinking coffee on the square, enjoying the daily market and experiencing the diversity of Amsterdam life. There’s always something going on in Nieuwmarkt – it’s the place to be!
FREE: Breakfast, WiFi, Lockers, Maps, Sheets and Showers. No hidden extras - all taxes included in the low prices. Choice of rooms with 2-16 beds and shared bathrooms. The large dormitories have dividing walls between the beds. Or for more comfort and privacy choose rooms with 4 beds and a private bathroom (en-suite). Free lockers are available – bring your own padlock or buy one at reception.
24 hour reception with tourist information and discount tickets for canal cruises, bike hire and museums. Good security, free luggage storage, no curfew, no drugs and no alcohol.
Run by Christian volunteers from all around the world. This not-for-profit hostel will give you a good night’s sleep in a clean and friendly atmosphere. A favourite Amsterdam hostel since 1972 with many guests coming back year after year. Come with your friends or make new ones.
Shelter City is famous for its warm and welcoming atmosphere - Experience Christian hospitality during your Amsterdam adventure!
No smoking, alcohol or drugs allowed in the hostel.
The atmosphere of the hostel is best suited to those between 15 and 40 years old. Children younger than 3 years old not permitted.
This hostel is bigger with 176 beds than its sister hostel Shelter Jordan.
Cancellations must be made by phone/email before midnight two days prior to arrival. If any guests fail to do so or do not show up, one nights stay is charged on their credit card. The same rule applies when an arrival date is changed by email or phone.
Multiple booking policy If the same name, e-mail or credit card is used in multiple bookings for a total of more than 8 people on the same day then we will apply our group payment and cancellation conditions to be found on www.shelter.nl
Bookings of up to 20 people are accepted via this site, for more people please e-mail email@example.com
We reserve the right to cancel online groups of more than 20 people.
If the group booking is just for one night and is on a Friday, Saturday or one of the following dates around public holidays, then an extra charge of 5 euros will be made per bed booked:27-31 December 2015, 22-31 March, 26-28 April, 5 &15 May 2016
Last minute offers are only available for online bookings for a limited time.
Alterations to special offer bookings can end up costing a little more than the original special offer price.
Availability & RatesTo view availability and prices please select dates and click 'Update Dates'
Hostel Facilities & Policies
- 24 Hour Reception
- 24 Hour Security
- Age Restriction
- Bicycle parking
- Board Games
- Free Breakfast
- Common Room
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Free City Maps
- Free City Tour
- Free Internet Access
- Free WiFi
- Hair Dryers
- Hot Showers
- House Keeping
- Internet Access
- Iron / Ironing Board
- Key Card Access
- Linen Included
- Security Lockers
- Luggage Storage
- Meals Available
- No Curfew
- Outdoor Terrace
- Safe Deposit Box
- Taxes not included
- Towels For Hire
- Vending Machines
Cancellation PolicyThis property has a 3 day cancellation policy. Failure to cancel within this time will result in a cancellation charge equal to the first night of your stay.
Must-Read Hostel InfoThis property has specific Terms & Conditions.
* We have a 3 day cancellation policy. If you want to cancel your reservation, please log into your personal Hostelworld account and make the changes before midnight (Amsterdam time) three days before your arrival date. Cancellation by phone is not accepted. Late cancellations and no-shows shall be charged the equivalent of the first night's accommodation. These conditions also apply if the date of arrival has been changed by email. Once you have arrived, paid and checked in it is not possible to receive a refund if you decide to leave early.
* Taxes not included - city tax 7.00 % per person per night. City Tax is to be paid upon check-in.
* If you are charged a no show charge, then the city tax will transfer into a cancellation fee.
* Bag drop-off from 08:00, rooms available to use from 13:30. This hostel is smoke-free, drug-free and alcohol-free. You may smoke cigarettes in the courtyard. There's no curfew or lockout.
* A Passport or government issued identity card (for EU citizen) is required upon check-in.
* If you have booked the four-person room for two or more people, we can't guarantee you'll be put in the same room but we will try our best. Our dorms are segregated by gender; if you book the wrong room we can't guarantee your accommodation.
* There are free lockers. Please bring your own padlock or buy one at reception.
* The last-minute internet special offers are only available on online bookings and for a limited time period. Changes to existing bookings which include the special offer prices may result in new (higher) prices being applied to the previously discounted night(s). If the same name, e-mail or credit card is used in multiple bookings for a total of more than 8 people on the same day then we will cancel the booking since we do not accept groups of more than 8 people.
* A keycard is mandatory for entering the hostel and for lost key card 5 euros will be charged.
DirectionsShow MapHide Map
Schiphol Airport is situated 18 km from Amsterdam. Trains from the airport leave frequently to Amsterdam Centraal Station. The trip takes takes 20 minutes and costs about 4 euro.
From Centraal Station:
Take metro 51, 53 or 54 (underground) from Central Station (ticket about 3 euro). Get off at the first stop; it's called Nieuwmarkt. Cross the square into Barndesteeg. Shelter City is at number 21.
Or go by foot (a 10 minute walk). From Centraal Station main entrance, walk towards Damrak (in the direction of city centre). Immediately after the bridge turn left unto Prins Hendrikkade. Cross the street into Zeedijk. At the end of Zeedijk you enter a square called Nieuwmarkt (castle in the middle). Take the third street on your right, called Barndesteeg. Shelter City is at number 21.
From Eurolines bus station:
The Eurolines bus station is next to Amstel Station. From Amstel Station take metro 51, 53 or 54 heading for Centraal Station (ticket about 3 euro). Get off at Nieuwmarkt. Cross the square into Barndesteeg. Shelter City is at number 21.
From the ring road A10, take exit S112. Follow the signs for 'Centrum'.
At the end of S112 you'll come to a roundabout (Mr. Visserplein). Take the second exit (into Valkenburgerstraat). Before the tunnel keep right and then turn left into Prins Hendrikkade. Turn left at Geldersekade. At Nieuwmarkt (a square with a castle) take the third street on your right, called Barndesteeg. Shelter City is at number 21. We recommend you park using the P+R system and use the car park at Zeeburg.
Located near Centraal Station, Nieuwmarkt, Dam Square and the Flower Market