On Top Backpackers
Ontop is a purpose built backpackers, 100% compliant to the new earthquake building standard and situated above a cosy cafe & bar located in the heart of Dunedin.
We aim to provide the ultimate Dunedin experience for all you young and hip or just plain hip travellers! We have rooms to suit everyone, from dormitories to private rooms with or without an ensuite.
You can enjoy the Dunedin sun on our spacious sun deck or come downstairs and try our range of magnificent craft beers over a friendly game of pool or even watch a classic film in our very own stylish cinema!
We are only a minute’s walk to the city’s best bars, cafes, restaurants and shopping. Our friendly staff will share inside knowledge of tours and the bountiful treasures Dunedin has to offer.
Whether its roaming the spectacular coastline of the Otago peninsula or exploring Dunedin’s array of historical and heritage architecture, with its great central location and excellent facilities, Ontop is a great place to stay, relax and enjoy the Deep South!
So come join us and soak up Dunedin’s atmosphere!
Availability & RatesTo view availability and prices please select dates and click 'Update Dates'
Hostel Facilities & Policies
- 24 Hour Security
- Age Restriction
- Bicycle hire
- Bicycle parking
- Board Games
- Book Exchange
- Free Breakfast
- Card Phones
- Common Room
- Telephone/Fax Facilities
- Free City Maps
- Free WiFi
- Hair Dryers
- Hair Dryers For Hire
- Hot Showers
- House Keeping
- Iron / Ironing Board
- Jobs Board
- Key Card Access
- Laundry Facilities
- Linen Included
- Luggage Storage
- No Curfew
- Outdoor Terrace
- Pool Table
- Reception (limited hours)
- Safe Deposit Box
- Steam Room
- Tea & Coffee Making Facilities
- Tours/Travel Desk
- Towels For Hire
- Washing Machine
Cancellation PolicyThis property has a 2 day cancellation policy. Failure to cancel within this time will result in a cancellation charge equal to the first night of your stay.
Must-Read Hostel InfoThis property has specific Terms & Conditions.
Reception opens at 7:30 am and closes at 10pm daily.
CHECK OUT is from 7:30 am to 10am.
CHECK-IN is from 1 pm – 10 pm. If you arrive before 1pm, we have free storage available.
By accepting these terms and conditions and completing the booking process you are entering into a legal agreement. We look forward to welcoming you to our hostel.
Booking enquiries must be made via email.
Please let us know the mix of your party and ages of any guests under the age of 18. We do not permit any guests under the age of 12.
Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or supervising adult.
Guests under the age of 18 are not permitted to stay in dorm rooms, unless the entire dorm room is booked by their party.
SORRY NO STAG OR HEN PARTIES. We reserve the right to cancel bookings or ask the party to leave, without refund, if we find they are stag or hen parties.
We do not allow any type of large party groups.
Ontop Backpackers reserves the right to decline any booking at the staffs’ discretion.
A valid credit card and phone number must be provided in order to book. If these details are invalid, your booking will be cancelled.
Deposit and Cancellation Policy
Ontop reserves the right to charge the full cost of your booking prior to arrival to ensure payment.
Depending on when your booking is taken and the nature of your stay, payment may be taken prior to arrival or at check-in.
The hostel is primarily an adult environment. We do not provide any play areas or other child facilities. However, children over the age of 12 are welcome provided they:
• Are supervised at all times particularly in the public spaces and shower rooms.
• Share a room with a parent or supervising adult and not with any other adult unconnected with your booking.
• If we feel your children are not respecting other customers, staff, or the hostel, you will be asked to leave without refund.
• Ontop Backpackers is a quiet, relaxed place. We ask all guests to be quiet in and around the hostel after 10pm.
• Personal belongings within the hostel and grounds are your responsibility at all times.
• No pets are allowed in the hostel.
• No consumption of alcohol is permitted upstairs after 8pm.
• All guests staying at Ontop are required to pay a $20 security deposit (this may vary for large groups or busy weekends). This is refunded at check-out if all policies have been followed.
• Loss of key will result in the loss of your deposit.
• Every guest must have identification in the form of a valid driver’s licence, 18+ card, or passport.
• No one may check in while intoxicated.
• Every guest staying at Ontop must check in and fill out appropriate forms.
• If any of the terms and conditions or hostel rules are broken by you or your party, you will lose your key deposit.
• We expect you to show consideration for other guests, hostel staff, the hostel premises, and our neighbours. We reserve the right to keep your security deposit or ask you to leave, without refund, if your presence is considered by • the hostel staff to be detrimental to any of the above.
• The managers reserve the right to charge you further if there are any damages or breakages caused by you and/or your group during your stay.
DirectionsShow MapHide Map
If travelling from Dunedin Airport - Shuttle buses are the best means of transport.
If coming from the InterCity Bus Depot - We are 20 minutes walking distance.
If in car- We are on the corner of Moray Place and Filleul St, behind the Dunedin Library and Town Hall.
Ontop Backpackers is located in the city center of Dunedin, just a minutes walk to the Octagon night life. Ontop Hostel is surrounded by many of Dunedin's best Cafes, Restaurants and Clothing boutiques. ATM's and Banks are the next street over and a supermarket is only one block away. Many of Dunedin's most famous attractions are with-in walking distance - The Dunedin Railway Station, First Church, Toitu Museum, Speights Brewery, Cadburys Chocolate Factory, Chinese Gardens, and Olveston.