Chase The Wild Goose Hostel
You can now enjoy a FREE breakfast* as well as a friendly atmosphere at Chase The Wild Goose Hostel in Fort William. The hostel is located at Banavie, close to the Caledonian Canal. The Lochy Bar and Moorings Hotel are just a stones throw away for meals and refreshments after a long day on the hill or touring the Scottish Highlands.
THE HOSTEL has 42 beds in a mix of double, twin, family and dormitory accommodation, providing for the needs of individuals, families, backpackers and small groups. There is a small self-catering kitchen should you want to cook your own meals, but you can also enjoy our Free Continental Breakfast (in 'Superior' rooms). Being a little out of town we hope to offer a better nights sleep before your energetic day on the hills than perhaps you might receive in a town centre establishment.
OUR GUESTS - The hostel is also a popular stop-over for enthusiasts on the 3-peaks challenge, walkers of the Great Glen Way and West Highland Way and caters for visitors to the Mountain Bike challenges nearby, water sports enthusiasts and can even organize a mountain guide to take you up Ben Nevis. Backpackers from around the globe have enjoyed their stay.
BEN NEVIS - To top all this, the area is renowned for having the best views of Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK.
'HOGWARTS EXPRESS' - If you are less energetic, visit Neptunes Staircase or ride the famous Jacobite Steam Train featured in the Harry Potter films, as the 'Hogwarts Express'.
Come and experience this amazing place...! Our testimonials show us to be one of the best hostels near Ben Nevis.
Please note: You can modify or cancel your booking up to 7 days before arrival day, when only the first nights fees shall be charged. If cancelled or modified later, or in case of no-show, the full amount will be charged. NOTE: FULL PAYMENT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY PROCESSED 7 DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL, so card details must be kept up to date. Groups of 8 or more guests - full payment is required 28 days prior to Arrival.
If planning to arrive when Reception is closed between 10:00 hrs and 17:00 hrs or after 22:00 hrs (but BEFORE 23:00 hrs) you MUST PHONE to pre-arrange this with staff. A small fee may apply.
* in 'Superior' rooms (not 'Coll')
SORRY, NO STAG OR HEN GROUPS
CHECK-IN OPEN 17:00 hrs 22:00 hrs.
UNDER 18s MUST HAVE ADULT SUPERVISION.
WE REGRET CHILDREN UNDER 5 ARE NOT ACCEPTED This is a non-smoking hostel.
Groups (8+) are very welcome
Availability & RatesTo view availability and prices please select dates and click 'Update Dates'
Hostel Facilities & Policies
- Age Restriction
- Bicycle parking
- Board Games
- Free Breakfast
- Common Room
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Free Internet Access
- Free Parking
- Free WiFi
- Hair Dryers
- Hair Dryers For Hire
- Hot Showers
- Self-Catering Facilities
- Laundry Facilities
- Linen Included
- Security Lockers
- Luggage Storage
- Meals Available
- Non Smoking
- Steam Room
- Taxes included
- Towels For Hire
Cancellation PolicyThis property has a 14 day cancellation policy. Failure to cancel within this time will result in a cancellation charge equal to the first night of your stay.
Must-Read Hostel InfoThis property has specific Terms & Conditions.
These conditions apply to your contract with us, the accommodation provider, and shall be relied upon in the event of any contest. They supersede any agency conditions.
Fully paid beds are fully secure.
Please note: we are a hostel for individuals and groups on holiday or attending events. We are not equipped to accommodate the Trades. If you are a tradesman/woman please contact us for a full refund.
See 8. below.
Please give as much notice as possible if you need to cancel your booking. Please see 'Cancellation' below.
Here are a few things to help your stay with us begin smoothly:
1. GROUPS of 8 or more guests must pay in full 28 days in advance of stay. Whenever possible, outstanding balance payments shall be processed automatically from the card used to pay the deposit;
2. ARRIVAL is between 17:00 hrs and 22:00 hrs;
3. LATE ARRIVAL - you MUST call us to pre-arrange. A small fee is payable, per person. Arrivals after 23:00 hrs are not accepted, will be refused entry and any payment forfeit. LATE TRAIN ARRIVALS - guests should retain their train tickets for a refund of the Late Arrival charge;
4. SECURITY - hostel access is by door-code issued on arrival and a bedroom smart key-card is provided. Lockers can be rented for laptops, valuables, etc; NOTE: The lead booker will be required to provide PHOTO ID matching the name on the booking, without which access will be denied. Staff are resident on the premises overnight.
5. DEPARTURE is from 08:00 hrs to 10:00 hrs when the hostel closes for Cleaning. You can leave early, but please arrange with hostel staff when you arrive;
6. **BREAKFAST, if not already included in the price, is available and can be purchased on Arrival. It is provided from 8.00 am until 9.30 am daily. It is self-serve. Early breakfast by arrangement;
7. PAYMENTS: Cheque payments are not accepted. Payments by the following cards:Visa Debit / Delta, Visa Credit, Maestro/Switch, MasterCard. Card payments are accepted only for purchases over £5 and are processed free of charge. The full booking balance is due 14 days before Arrival. NOTE: FULL PAYMENT WILL BE PROCESSED AUTOMATICALLY 14 DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL, so please keep your card details up to date.
8. CANCELLATION: Cancellations must be made by the lead booker, supported in writing or by email. The following Cancellation terms apply (Groups see below):
Guests will be charged 50% of the total fee if they cancel after reservation and the total price if they cancel in the 14 days before arrival.
We reserve the right to cancel a booking if card details are invalid, or if the payment card is declined due to insufficient funds, or card expiry.
Should we have to cancel a booking due to circumstances occurring beyond our control, e.g. fire, flood, prolonged loss of power supply, etc we shall award a full refund, but shall not be liable for any consequential loss incurred;
9. MODIFICATIONS: These are accepted only at our discretion. Additions shall require a new booking request to be submitted online. If numbers are to be reduced, cancellation fees shall be applied to cancelled beds/guests. If a date change is required the original booking must first be cancelled, when deposit fees shall be retained. A new booking must then be submitted. Deposit fees may not be credited to a new booking.
10. SMOKING: Guests may smoke outside only, away from the building. Guests found smoking in any building or outhouse will be required to leave the premises without further recourse or refund of fees;
11. BEHAVIOUR: We are a hostel for walkers, climbers, outdoor enthusiasts and backpackers. We do not accept Hen or Stag parties, Workers, nor Children under 5 years. We really don't mind you having a few drinks, but if you expect to become heavily intoxicated with alcohol please let us know so we can redirect you elsewhere. For the convenience of sleeping guests we operate a 'NO NOISE' policy between 22:00 hrs and 07:00 hrs. Guests who flout this requirement regretfully may be asked to leave immediately with no refund of fees;
12. GROUP CANCELLATION - A minimum 50% Cancellation Fee shall apply (usually the Deposit charge paid). In the event it has not been possible to automatically process the balance payment or if a balance payment is not received on the due date the booking will be cancelled, and all monies paid and group concessions will be forfeit. Subsequent re-instatement of a Group Booking will be at prevailing rates. If Group numbers are reduced or a booking is cancelled within 28 days prior to the day of arrival no refund is payable. Groups may be requested to pay a refundable security deposit of up to £20 per person before their stay;
13. LOST KEYS - a charge of GBP5.00 will be made for any key lost or not returned, and will be charged from the payment card;
**BREAKFAST: A Self-Serve ‘Continental Style' breakfast is available for an extra charge comprising of Cereal, Fresh Milk, Fruit Juice, Toast with Butter and Jam and Tea or Coffee. From time to time Yoghurt, Fresh Fruit, Croissants and Choc-au pains may be available. Groups - please book in advance.
DRIP DRYING ROOM. There is no charge for drying clothes in the Drip Drying Room, however a heat source is not provided. Please tell us in advance if possible if you may require this service. There is also outside space to hang clothes. On request, and for an extra charge, staff may dry clothes in the hostel tumble dryer. There is no heated drying room in the hostel.
WI-FI is available FREE in ALL areas, but is typical of British Telecom provision across the Scottish Highlands and is not suitable for movie downloading.
DirectionsShow MapHide Map
Stay on the train when approaching Fort William, then get off at ‘Banavie’. We're 300m from the station.
From the station, cross the main road then cross the canal. Turn right through a gate into the large public car park. Walk diagonally across to the car entrance on the far side. Exiting car park turn left then First Right. Hostel sign-posted, on right.
From Fort William, either follow the car directions below or in daylight hours use the Great Glen Way (the most direct and scenic route) which starts next to Morrison's supermarket/ Argyll College/ Diving Centre in Fort William, crosses the Soldiers’ Bridge into Caol (shops) and along the canal into Banavie.
Travel north from Fort William on the A82, signed Inverness.
After 1½ miles, turn left on the A830 for Mallaig 'The Road to the Isles'.
After 1 mile, cross the canal and take a right turn into Banavie.
About 100m on the left, turn into the road signposted 'Banavie Quarry'.
Hostel is on right.
There are regular buses from Fort William. The service is Number 45 to Corpach, and runs every 20 minutes from Middle Street in Fort William. Ask to be dropped off in Banavie.
From the bus stop, cross the main road and walk into the village of Banavie on the B8004.
About 100m on the left, turn into the road signposted 'Banavie Quarry'.
Hostel is on right.
Located on the edge of the city of Fort William in the village of Banavie, close to Ben Nevis and Neptunes Staircase.
Climb Ben Nevis
Visit Neptune's Staircase
Visit the ghostly ruins of Old Inverlochy Castle
Walk up Banavie Hill
Follow the canal to the Canal basin at Corpach
Visit The Distillery for a tour and a dram.