Hanul lui Hanganu
Availability & RatesTo view availability and prices please select dates and click 'Update Dates'
B&B Facilities & Policies
- Breakfast Included
- Free Wifi
Cancellation PolicyThis property has a 1 day cancellation policy. Failure to cancel within this time will result in a cancellation charge equal to the first night of your stay.
DirectionsShow MapHide Map
If you are in Chishinau, you have to go at north bus station and ask about bus to Lalova village.
When you arrive in Lalova you will see a sign to 'Hanul lui Hanganu'
The Paradise on the Nistru borders
Situated at the 110 north to Chisinau and 10 km from the tourist pension Hanul lui Hanganu, on the right Nistru border, the Monastery 'Saint Three' from Saharna it by right way considered one of the biggest centers/places for all christian-ortodox pelerines from Moldova. This is the only place where are the Pious Macarie the last part of his body, and also here are the only rock in Moldova where God's Mother left her ? left mark, as said one of the many local legends. The old people of this places said that one day one monk from the old monastery (as said some documents sheets from XVII-XVIII century, the monastery is open since X-XII century) on one of the rocks around the monastery the God's Mother came in real image to him. Coming to the rock all monks discovered the feet mark on the rock, sign considered as a divine sign but also as testimonies of the purity of this God's place. Soon after this event, more close to the defile, was built a new church from woods and called the 'Saint Three' (1777). Later, on the place of this wood church is built another one from stone in the old Moldavian style, rich decorated with different biblical scenes as wall painting.
The natural Reservation Saharna is located on the Nistru elevation in a tourist zone very popular not just in Moldova, but all over the world. Two little rivers ? Saharna (10km) and Stohnaia (6 km) intercross the east part of the plateau, describing together a massif natural amphitheatre. Both of rivers made on the inferior part of their itinerary the little canyon that are amazing beautiful, their depth are almost 160 m, but there are some places with depth 175 m, and many waterfalls and little lakes. The little river Saharna has almost 22 waterfalls; the biggest of them are almost at the last turning point of the river to east. The biggest waterfall is called the Gypsy hole /Groapa Tiganului that has 4, 5 m height and 10m depth.
These amazing places were always lived during the history. In the VIII -VI BC century here were many geto-dacs tribes. Their activities testimonies in these places are all over and can be meet practically every where are appropriated places, enough good for living like the top of the hill where were discovered the ruins of the geto-dacs fortress. Actually, in this place is built a monument in honor of all great men of this country.
In addition, here at Saharna is the monastery that is dated from XVII century (the monks activities have been begun in these places much earlier, as a testimony are the Monastery digger in a rock, that is from VII AD century). The period between the XII and the XVII and about the life that had all the monks was written just a little in their archive. Thanks to the hermitage (Monastery built-up in the rock) became enough little for all desiring monks coming to the saint place, the abbot decided to build a bigger monastery, helped by the God's Mother he find the place blessed for the monastery building, in 1776, when beginning the building of the monastery ?The Saint Three?, this building was realized during two century, at the finished being destroyed by the evil forces of people, the monastery was closed in 1969.
From the upper side of the Saharna rocks zone can see very special landscapes: and rocky defile and wooded of the Saharna river borderers (longer 16 km) that have more than 30 dam stone and waterfalls.
Here also, can be find a archeological station/campus very important with very important discovers from the Iron Century X-VIII BC century, and also a geto-dacs fortress from IV-III BC century, on of the most preserved here in Republic of Moldova. But the with the God help and some people help with a great faith, in 1991, after more than 30 years of true bleeding, the light coming throw the history and come to highlight again the monastery and divine place is again open for all people. Today, the Monastery is working having a big staff composed from 20 men, the monastery manager is the archimandrite Adrian Baciul. The Religious service in the monastery is performed during the day: morning: 5:00 - 8:00, afternoon 12:30 - 13:00, and evening 17:00 - 19:30.
Until 1971 in the Saharna place extract stones for constructions, therefore why until now there are many abandoned mines that compose together deep galleries in the rock. These galleries have many kilometers distance and bore the rock by both sites.
Very close to the tourist pension, only at 2 km distance ?Hanul lui Hanganu? was situated probably, one of the most amazing monastic compositions built in rock from the country, Tipova. In addition, it really considered one of the biggest in Europe. It is something special, coming from the construction very easy structure, cause all constructions is ordered in a few levels and covered an enough big space, and in other old time, the monastery hermitage have more than 700 monks. Hundreds of the monastic cells were built across this place close to the monastery. The Monastic Community on this place was founded before the Moldavian state creation. It is considered that some of the cells were built in the rocky border of the Nistru in the X-XII century. This monastery on the Nistru borders was a guardian and serve as sign in the case of the barbarian invasion that coming from the Ukrainian step.
The monastery was built on the topic of some abrupt rocks, opening a great landscape of the Nistru river everglades, situated 100 m, over the sea. A great impression has on all visitors the church the ?Mother's God Asleep?, that is very spacious built in the basilic style, having all the plastered walls and semispherical cap a little vaulted remembering about the sky. The 1776 year is recognized as the welfare year, when the monastery coming to have initiatives to becoming bigger. The digging church in the rock was divided in many other bigger spaces/rooms, that were separated by big and columns solid, all the access way becoming larger and the primordial fighting function disappear.
The special spirit of these places is directly linked to you when you coming here on the Nistru right border. All local peoples describe inexplicable energy of these places that becoming more empowered by the old local legends. It used to say that in this monastery Stefan the Great the king of Moldova, was engaged with his future wife Maria Voichita. Moreover, that in nights her souls wearing something white can be saw. There are people that remarked that is the soul of his daughter, Marusca, that find a place to rest forever. In addition, her room is an energetical point that can be felt even by touch.
Moreover, other legends older, said that somewhere in these places close to the geto-dacs fortress have been living the last years of his life the mythological poet Orfeu. That was buried under a tombstone very close to the fortress. All of researchers are agree that such grove was discovered very close to Tipova.
On one of the hills that are around the Tipova defile, during the antiquity (IV-III BC century), was an earthen fortress of geto-dacs. Still to our days still are very well preserved the earthen bastions.
As a rule, the local landscape is special: the Nistru waters silence almost half of them grow up with bulrush, the abrupt rocks with thousands monastic cells and grottos that hide a millenary history, the nature beauty and the turmoil of waterfalls. If you have enough time and enough powers to reach the waterfalls you will have the great opportunity to visit the largest waterfalls in our country.
The Japca Monastery is situated in the Soroca district, in Moldova. The Japca village is located at 160 km at the north of Chisinau, and it is well known to all monasteries visitors in this area, because it was the only nuns monastery in the district, and the only one functional in the soviet period.
Nobody knows about its creation/construction. Situated at the 45 km south of Soroca, on the rock border of Nistru, this monastery has at the beginning a base dig in the rock.
According to the local legend, the monastery founder was the monk Izechiil, born in Lvov, that travel throw Basarabia that soothe the Japca locals, that were not able to have a church cause of the tartar invasion. The monk proposed them to build the church on the rock that was very close to the village. With the time, close to the church, they carved cells and therefore Ezekiel begins to gather up the monks together.
In 1963, Ion Turba, donate his estate to the monastery, recordable in a judge court in the XVIII century. The monastery tradition and some history sources considered the monk Jezechil as the first founder of the monastery in a rock that came from the hermitage Deleni, which is situated on the right border of the Nistru, at the end of the XVII century.
Later, in the 1770, the hegumen Feodosie built a wood church at the foot of the rock. In this way, the monastery becoming larger next to the rock monastery, and in this way building a large area of monastery cells and annexes and around to the 1812, there were two wood churches and a wood belfry, which was built above the entrance tower of church.
In the 1829 in the middle of the court it built the ?God Ascension? church, that in 1912 was rebuilt in the eclitical style and also the belfry was rebuilt but this time above the entrance gate. In 1849, it is immure the church ?Archangel Michael?, but using another style the classicism.
In the right next years, the hermitage Japca, thanks to the prosperous situation of the bishop G. Banulescu-Bodoni, acquire statute the monastery, and in the XIX century the wood churches together with the belfry were rebuilt from stone. The initial location, in the rock of the monastery was also changed and renovated in 1852.
The Japca Monastery continues to exist today on the same rock base, having improved only the superficial constructions, which were rebuilt or renovated from stone. This monastery suffer in the soviet period, but with all changes and problems this monastery rest open during all communism administration, nobody can closed it as were all others monasteries.
The militant workers of the party did not have any chance to close it thanks to the monastery nuns sacrifice, even some constructions were cleaned out, inclusively the church complex and the both rock cells. Actually, the rock church after renovation 4 years ago now is functional and everyday the priest make the religious service. The Japca Monastery is one of the prosperous and arranged monasteries in the all country.
So, as we can see by all explained above a great interest is dedicated to the rock church study. The church structure/architecture and planimitrical study was realized first time by the Historical and Archeological Society from Basarabia at the beginning of our century.
As conclusion, having a descriptive character is noticed that the church is composed from three compartments unequal of the plan that is outside of the altar. This stone halidom denote clearly the characters of the additional system elongated of the Romanian church known for the first time in the wood church architecture.
The general presentation of these woods churches from the oldest times, some plan compartments, added one next to other, separated initial by a full wall, pierced, probably by a door, the rock church from Japca express an architectonical program from the wall religious architecture. Enough personalized in the Moldova, the additional type elongated known here as maximum development, inclusively by the contribution added to the plan compartments.
The church ceiling is vaulted, in semi cylinder, and if the first compartment, beginning to the door, and the semi cylinder tower is above the length, in the second is above transverse of the construction. These are the characteristics that are preserved from the last renovation.
Comparing the Moldavian churches with the semi cylinder vault, oriented transversal, was the same as of the grave. In this way, the building with four plan compartments is realized by their correct number by the follow example: altar, nave, and the third compartment represent the tomb room from classical buildings of the large churches from monasteries.
Studying the others compartments structure, we can identify that the last one was the longest and has two more windows. Exactly as the mentioned churches pronaosul, the tomb room is the most little, initial it has one window, but recently was closed and the naosul is most wide than other compartments, similar with the altar semicircular, with a triconc plan.
In this way we considered at Japca a rock church that reproduce the large monasteries churches plans from the religious architecture of the Moldavian state from the XV century; the tomb room, called also as the graves room, that appear during the king Alexandru the Best leadership.
The tomb room is a stone room that does not need any other description. Any other cases with tomb rooms inside the churches were not found in Moldova. This kind of room are difficult to build cause of very little dimensions saint building at the Japca, only 14 m length, in comparison with other large churches that have more than 30-40 m.
The large monasteries churches type was established in the historical country Moldova in the XV century, as we already mentioned that the tomb room was made during the Alexandru the Best reign. The rock church from Japca, inclusively in the first term of the monastery function it was realized in the time of the Stefan the Great, before the 1484, or during the Alexandru the Best reign. At all of these conclusion it need to added that looking at the all construction in rock, the plan can be made by another way, the verandah can be made as a continuation of the building.
In all components similar with the wall architecture and the altar vault that is similar with a quarter of the sphere and as an essential staff, its passage to the vault of the naos by multilevel arcs. An ingenious element in the Moldavian architecture style, but without any responsibility in our case, and accomplishing a decorative role.
As a part of decorative plastic the rock church from Japca it is look like a monument in a folk style, with very sober decorative style.
To all of this characters of the rocks church, it need to added that the niches from the south part of the naus denote in fact that at this church were realized many renovation and construction work at the middle of the XVII century, because there were replaced the lateral concile of the naosului with some short niches inside, realized by little rezalite by the outside part.
The monastery Japca foundation in the evolution period at the tomb room establishment in the monasteries church until the verandah apparition that was the Alexandru the Best or Stefan the Great reign, before the 1484.
Around the middle of the XVII century the church ?The Saint Christ Ascension? had have supported some changes in the south part of the naosului, and all doors, that are requested by Moldavian church to pass from one compartment to another one, were replaced by large arcs in the XIX century, when all compartments of the interior space are unified.
In our days this church has three altars: ?The God Ascension?, ?The face Changing of the God?, and the ?Saint Christ?. The monastery can be visited daily: