HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel
A one-of-a-kind jail hostel located in the heart of downtown Ottawa, steps away from Byward Market, Parliament Hill, Rideau Centre, University of Ottawa, pubs and restaurants.
Rated one of the top 10 spookiest buildings around the world by Lonely Planet!
Here's what you may do while staying with us :
- Have a drink, eat a meal, listen to live performances and meet other travelers at our bar MUGSHOTS - Ottawa's only jail bar!
- Use our FREE wireless internet or free internet terminals to plan, skype, book, check-in, post or tweet
- Enjoy our FREE continental breakfast every morning
- Join us on a FREE hostel orientation tour (offered daily to hostel guests only)
- Sleep in former jail cells that have been completely renovated and adapted to suit your comfort needs
- Join us for a pub crawl, a movie night, a dance party and much more
- Enjoy our great outdoor patio in the summer
- Use our communal kitchen to show off your cooking skills
- Ask our wonderful staff for suggestions of things to do in Ottawa
- Visit death row and the gallows on the 8th floor with Ottawa's Haunted Walks tours
We hope to see you soon - and remember - you don't have to commit a crime to do the time!
The hostel is part of Hostelling International (HI). HI is a not-for-profit organization with over 4 000 hostels worldwide and more than 60 across Canada. You’re not a member? Don’t worry, we still love you! You can purchase a card upon arrival or simply pay the additional fee of $5 per person per night.
If you do not hold an HI membership card there will be an additional charge of $5 per person per night.
All prices are subject to local sales tax. The front desk is closed between 2am and 7am
Availability & RatesTo view availability and prices please select dates and click 'Update Dates'
Hostel Facilities & Policies
- 24 hour reception
- 24 hour security
- Air Conditioning
- Bicycle hire
- Bicycle parking
- Board Games
- Book exchange
- Breakfast Included
- Cable TV
- Card phones
- Common Room
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Fax Service
- Free City Maps
- Free Internet Access
- Free Wifi
- Games Room
- Hair Dryers
- Hair Dryers For Hire
- Hot Showers
- House Keeping
- Internet Access
- Laundry Facilities
- Linen Included
- Luggage Storage
- No Curfew
- Non Smoking
- Outdoor Terrace
- Postal Service
- Reading Light
- Safety Deposit Box
- Taxes not included
- Tea/Coffee Making Facilities
- Tours/Travel Desk
- Towels For Hire
- Towels Included
- Vending Machines
- Washing Machine
Cancellation PolicyThis property has a 1 day cancellation policy. Failure to cancel within this time will result in a cancellation charge equal to the first night of your stay.
Must-Read Hostel InfoThis property has specific Terms & Conditions.
1. Prices you see are Hostelling International member ones. If you do not have a membership card, an additional fee of $5 per night, per person, will be charged upon arrival.
2. The mandatory provincial and federal taxes (13%) will be applied at check-in.
Online group bookings not accepted, you must contact the hostel directly if you would like to make a group booking
DirectionsShow MapHide Map
From the airport: Take bus # 97 to the Rideau Shopping Centre. Get off on the MacKenzie King Bridge, walk east to the stairs. The hostel is located at the bottom of the stairs.
From the train station: Take bus #95 (Baseline) to the Rideau Shopping Centre. Get off on the MacKenzie King Bridge, walk east to the stairs. The hostel is located at the bottom of the stairs.
From the bus station: Take local bus #1 or 7 (Downtown) from the corner of Bank and Catherine St. to Nicholas St.(Rideau Centre). Walk two blocks south. The hostel is on the left.
*We offer parking, however, it is operated on a first-come, first-served basis. We do not accept reservations for parking.
Walking distance to grocery, liquor and beer stores as well as Parliment Hill, Museum of Civilization, War Museum, National Gallery of Canada, Byward Market, Rideau Canal, Bytown Museum, Museum of Nature and more.
Short drive to RCMP Musical Ride stables, Gatineau Park, Diefenbunker Cold War Museum