HI San Diego - Downtown
San Diego’s classiest hostel, in the premier Gaslamp neighborhood offers everything a backpacker or business traveler could want. Our recently renovated urban hostel offers shared and private rooms, free Wi-Fi, complimentary breakfast, comfortable spaces to meet new friends, and a worldly staff ready to provide you with the best hostelling experience.
Our hostel’s staff is in the strictest compliance with San Diego’s mandatory casual attitude, but don’t let their laidback style fool you— we work hard to provide our guests with a true “San Diego” experience. Our dedicated activities guru’s mission is to make your stay awesome. Check out our weekly events including free dinners, downtown and Balboa Park walking tours, pub-crawls, seasonal trips to the beach and more!
Here are a few of our ideas to enhance your San Diego experience:
• Spend a day at the beach – we can tell you where to catch the best wave, or sunset.
• Get international and take the trolley to Mexico – it’s only a short trolley ride away!
• Go on a brewery tour and taste why San Diego is Beer City USA.
• Get cultured at Balboa Park, home to world-class theatres, museums and the zoo.
• Dance the night away right outside our door in San Diego’s hottest clubs.
Getting here is easy – we’re walking distance from the Amtrak and Greyhound Station and easily accessible via public transportation from the airport or beyond.
Free breakfast is important to any traveler and we get up extra early to make sure you can start your day right. Always free and overflowing we serve local fresh-baked bread, cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter and jelly, fresh fruit, milk, soy milk, plus non-stop coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
There is tons of space to lounge around in and to make friends from all over the world before you hit the town. If you’re looking to relax after a long day of sightseeing (or after a great night out in the Gaslamp Quarter), you can chill out in our TV room, enjoy our game room which is fully equipped with a pool table and video games or share a meal in our fully equipped kitchen.
Our hostel offers shared co-ed and single sex dorm accommodations of varying sizes to fit your budget. If you’re looking for a little more privacy or comfort, we also offer private rooms complete with your own bathroom and air conditioner. We’re hostellers ourselves so we don’t compromise when it comes to comfort or safety. All of our rooms have Tempur-Pedic mattresses, secure lockers and enough plugs to satisfy the techiest traveler.
If there is anything we can do to improve your stay or feel like testing the staff’s knowledge – visit us at the front desk any time - we’re here 24 hours/day to help.
***Please note***: A 10.5% city tax will be charged in addition to the amount quoted to be paid upon arrival, as well as a 2% TMD assessment. This totals to 12.5% in local taxes and assessments.
-Linens and Towels
-Coffee, Tea, and Hot Chocolate
-Storage upon Check-in or Check-out
-Events, Tours and Activities
IMPORTANT - Check-In/Reservation Policies:
-Foreign travelers must show a valid foreign passport at check-in.
-United States citizens must show a valid state issued Identification Card or Driver's License with photo upon check in.
-We do not rent to residents of San Diego County.
-U.S. passports, Foreign Identification and Driver's Licenses, Military Identification and Student Identification cards are not accepted.
-Reservations must be cancelled by Midnight the day before check-in to receive a refund. Any cancellations or no-shows after this point will be charged for the first night of the intended stay.
-Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. No one under the age of 12 may stay in a dorm room.
-We have a maximum allotted stay of 14 nights in a 365 day period. Any bookings made for longer than this cannot be accepted.
-A $3 Non-Member Fee will be added per night for guests who are not Hostelling International members. Memberships are available at front desk upon check in.
Availability & RatesTo view availability and prices please select dates and click 'Update Dates'
Hostel Facilities & Policies
- 24 Hour Reception
- 24 Hour Security
- Air Conditioning
- Bicycle hire
- Bicycle parking
- Board Games
- Book Exchange
- Free Breakfast
- Cable TV
- Card Phones
- Ceiling Fan
- Child Friendly
- Common Room
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Telephone/Fax Facilities
- Free City Maps
- Free Internet Access
- Free WiFi
- Games Room
- Hair Dryers
- Hair Dryers For Hire
- Hot Showers
- House Keeping
- Internet Access
- Key Card Access
- Self-Catering Facilities
- Late check-out
- Laundry Facilities
- Linen Included
- Security Lockers
- Luggage Storage
- Meals Available
- No Curfew
- Non Smoking
- Pool Table
- Postal Service
- Reception (limited hours)
- Steam Room
- Tea & Coffee Making Facilities
- Tours/Travel Desk
- Towels For Hire
- Towels Included
- Vending Machines
- Washing Machine
- Wheelchair Friendly
Cancellation PolicyThis property has a 1 day cancellation policy. Failure to cancel within this time will result in a cancellation charge equal to the first night of your stay.
Must-Read Hostel InfoThis property has specific Terms & Conditions.
IMPORTANT: Check-In/Reservation Policies:
***Please note*** - A 10.5% city tax will be charged in addition to the amount quoted to be paid upon arrival.
- Foreign travelers must show a valid foreign passport at check-in.
- A valid credit card in the guest's name is required at check-in for incidental charges.
- United States citizens must show a valid state issued Identification Card or Driver's License with photo upon check in.
- We do not rent to residents of San Diego County.
- U.S. passports, Foreign Identification and Driver's Licenses, Military Identification and Student Identification cards are not accepted.
- A $3 Non-Member Fee will be added per night for guests who are not Hostelling International members. Memberships are available at front desk upon check in.
- Reservations must be cancelled by Midnight the day before check-in. Any cancellations or no-shows after this point will be charged for the first night of the intended stay. Deposits paid are non refundable.
- Guests under the age of 18 can only book private rooms.
- We have a maximum allotted stay of 14 nights in a 365 day period. Any bookings made for longer than this cannot be accepted.
-We sell discount tickets to the San Diego Zoo and Seaworld.
-We offer tours, activities, and dinners.
-No key deposit
-Our kitchen was newly remodeled in June of 2012
-Common areas were remodeled in April 2014
-Air conditioned rooms available
DirectionsShow MapHide Map
From Hwy. 5: Take Front St. exit, turn left on Market. Hostel is at corner of 5th and Market;
Train: Take Bayside Trolley to Convention Center. Walk North 3 blocks on 5th to Market.
Bus: Walk north on 14th to Market, take a left on Market, 8 blocks west. Or take Bus 11 to 6th and Market or Green Line to Gaslamp station.
Airport: take bus #992 to 5th Ave. and Broadway. Walk South 4 blocks to Market.
Local area attractions include:
- Seaport Village
- San Diego Zoo
- Sea World
- Balboa Park
- Petco Park
- Qualcomm Stadium
- San Diego Beaches