If you are a looking a beautiful Hostel, at a great price, in a safe area and a wonderful cheap, environment during your San Jose visit look not further and do not hesitate to contact us immediately, we promise to make your stay an exceptional one!
A Continental Breakfast and Bedding is Included in the Price.
This recently renovated colonial style house, once home to a Costa Rican ex-president, is ideally located on the downtown from where you may take a bus, or train, and easily access any part of the country you may wish to visit.
Once here you will find yourself at only a ten minute walk or a 5 minutes cab ride from the most historic and culturally rich parts of town, known as Barrio Amon and La Avenida Central. The Avenida Central is a pedestrian lane stretching for several blocks on end, with the Museo del Nino (Children's Museum), Museo Nacional (National Musuem), the Teatro Nacional (National Theatre), Museo de Arte Contemporaneo (Museum of Contemporary Art), Museo de Jade (Jade Museum) and the Museo de Oro (Gold Museum) on its peripheries.
The Hostel has a wonderful old colonial feel to it and offers any you may need at an extremely low cost: a friendly and English Speaking Staff, free Internet access, 24 hours Security and Reception Attendance, private secure Lockers, Bar and Food service, Laundry service, Currency exchange - if needed, Phone and Fax availability at a low rate, Airport Transportation upon request and a Common Area with TV, DVD's and Board Games for entertainment. If your choice is to go out and explore the city at night during your stay in San Jose, do not worry the Hostel does not hold any curfew or lockout hours.
Availability & RatesTo view availability and prices please select dates and click 'Update Dates'
Hostel Facilities & Policies
- 24 hour reception
- 24 hour security
- Airport transfers
- Breakfast Included
- Cable TV
- Card phones
- Common Room
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Currency exchange
- Fax Service
- Free City Maps
- Free Internet Access
- Free Parking
- Free Wifi
- Games Room
- Hot Showers
- Internet Access
- Laundry Facilities
- Linen Included
- Luggage Storage
- No Curfew
- Outdoor Terrace
- Safety Deposit Box
- Tea/Coffee Making Facilities
- Tours/Travel Desk
- Towels For Hire
- Vending Machines
- Wheelchair Accessible
Cancellation PolicyThis property has a 1 day cancellation policy. Failure to cancel within this time will result in a cancellation charge equal to the first night of your stay.
DirectionsShow MapHide Map
From the Plaza Gonzalez Viquez, Meylin Restaurant 100 mts. north and 25 mts east.
Banco de Costa Rica; from Parque los Mercaditos 200 meters North, 100 meters East.
Banco Nacional: from the hostel 200 meters North, 500 mts. East, from AyA 800 mts East.
Banco Popular: from the stop light at Plaza Cleto Gonzalez Viquez, 75 meters East.
ATM located at the Texaco gas station 500 meters from the hostel.
Cartago: from the hostel 200 meters north, 100 meters west on Avenue 10.
Turrialba; from the hostel 300 meters North, 100 meters to the east. (This bus will take you to Turrialba Volcano, downtown Turrialba and surroundings).
La Sabana: route from downtown towards La Sabana/Escazu, from Los Mercaditos park 100meters to the west right across the gas station.
Zapote / Curridabat / Multiplaza del Este: from the hostel 100 meters to the south, 100 meters to the East, 100 meters southward in front of Piscinas Silvia Poll (Silvia Poll Pools).
Plaza Cleto Gonzalez Viquez, from the MOPT building 500 meters to the west. The train departs twice a week to the Pacific .
Plaza Cleto Gonzalez Viquez Urban Train Terminal, from San Jose to San Pedro.
The following attractions are a 10-15 minute walk from the hostel, and offer a taste to Costa Rican culture and city life.
Museo Nacional de Costa Rica: (The National Museum of Costa Rica)
- Location: Between Central and Second Avenue, on 17th street, near Cuesta de Moras, adjacent to the Plaza de la Democracia.
- Schedule: Open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- Rates: Costa Rican Citizens ¢500 (Wednesdays are free)
Foreigners $4, for foreign students with ID $2
Museo de Jade: (Jade Museum)
- Location: located on the ground floor of the Institute of Natural Insurance (Instituto Nacional de Seguros INS) near the Parque Espana.
- Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
Saturday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Rates: Costa Rican Citizens ¢500
Museo de Arte y Diseno Contemporáneo: (Museum of Contemporary Art and Design):
- Location: Old Fanal Building, adjacent to Barrio Amón, near downtown San José .
- Schedule: Exhibition Rooms: Monday through Saturday from 10:30 am to 5:30. Mondays entrance is free
Video Library and Documentation Center: Monday through Friday 9am to 12pm, and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
- Rates: Costa Rican Citizens ¢500
Students with ID ¢300
Museo de Arte Costarricense: (Museum of Costa Rican Art)
- Location: Eastern front of La Sabana Metropolitan Park
- Schedule: Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Rates: Foreigners -$5, foreigners with student ID $3
Costa Rican Citizens 500 colones, for students free
Museo del Banco Central de Costa Rica: (Museum of the Central Bank of Costa Rica)
- Right on downtown San José , this museum feature two permanent exhibits and one temporary gallery exhibit showroom:
- Location: Between 3rd St. and 5th Avenue, on Central Avenue and Second. (Calle 3 y 5 Avenida Central y Segunda, Bajos Plaza de la Cultura.)
- Schedule: Monday through Sunday from 9:30 am to 5:00pm.
- Rates: Foreigners $7, foreigners with student ID $3.50
Citizens 1000 colones ($2)
Costa Rican students with ID: Free
Museo de los Niños: (Museum for the Children)
- Location: 4th street, 9th Avenue, Old Central Penitentiary
- Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:00 to 4:30 pm
- Rates: week-days 700 colones, 800 colones on weekends
The museums previously mentioned hold the most historical significance, carry extensive displays and are the most active within the art realm, both at local and foreign levels. However, there are other museums worth mentioning and open to the public:
- La Salle Museum of Natural Science (Museo de Ciencia Naturales La Salle)
- The Entomology Museum at the University of Costa Rica (El Museo de Entomología)
- The Criminology Museum (El Museo Crimonólogo)
- The Museum of Insects at the University of Costa Rica (El Museo de Insectos de la Universidad de Costa Rica)
- Museum of Forms, Space and Sounds (Museo de Formas, Espacios y Sonidos)
Costa Rica has a large theatre production scene, with different performances running throughout the year. Productions vary constantly, depending on their success. There are two main theatres Teatro Nacional and Teatro Melico Salazar, where foreign performances and national ballet, dancing and theatre festivals are held. For events and show check local listings in La Nacion (the main local newspaper). Here is a list of the most popular:
The National Theatre: (Teatro Nacional) http://www.teatronacional.go.cr/
Melico Salazar Theatre (Teatro Melico Salazar)